Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Life Review

By Anonymous Bertram Woods Library Patron

I.
I am grateful for librarians,
my ever ready partners, primed for the search.
From Trash to Trollope,
my secrets are safe with them.
I've released my lone grudge
toward the clerk at Return
who announced to me
and the hoard behind
that a book in my possession
on sexually transmitted diseases
was long overdue.

II.
I am grateful for libraries,
constant objects in the span of years.
Memories of tots at Wednesday Story Hour,
our only outing of the day;
of their smiles reflecting in shiny glass cases
that held their special collections
on display in the Children's Room;
of watching them read
at low tables.

III.
I miss the sounds of checkout,
Sh/click sh/click
Sticky tags applied to books;
varnished card catalogue drawers
that moved on gliders
with Rolls Royce precision.

IV.
Now, I call the governor's office
To register my sole small voice
for necessary funds.
I troll the aisles
for monthly choices for
my Short Book Club,
no book over 200 pages.
My Golden Buckeye card
gives me special privileges
on late returns.
Now on Wednesdays
I see other tots
here for Baby Yoga
their mothers,
grateful for librarians.

February 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment