Monday, June 21, 2010

Bertram Woods Branch Is a Treasured Library

When the property of Byron Junior High was a cornfield, we used to
drive from our house in University Heights to buy the best sweet corn,
which was sold out of the garage attached to the farmhouse. Then we
moved to Shaker (Belvoir Oval) and I went to school on that same
property. As a young teen who read almost non-stop, I was thrilled to
have a library I could walk to; some days I rode my bike and carried
home a stack of books in the basket. I loved the Bertram Woods Library,
and I spent many hours there looking for books, reading, just enjoying
the building. In the winter we skated on the pond next to the library
building.

Now, all these years later, I take my grandchildren to the Bertram Woods
Library, and it is as welcoming as it was when I first started going
there. Really, Bertram Woods Library is a treasure of Shaker Heights.

Happy Anniversary

Gail Bass Arnoff

No comments:

Post a Comment