Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fond Memories of Summer Reading



I attended Shaker schools from K-12 and moved back after college. A lot has changed since the time I was in the summer reading program. Back then you had to write a short report on each book you read (I’d love to see that reinstituted.) and you moved your piece across the board based on how many books you read. I eagerly read the books and wrote the reports so I could reach the end of the board.

This past year I cleaned out some boxes and found a few years worth of the reports and even the little plastic numbered piece with the sticky glue/gum on the back that held my piece up. Clearly these items were great memories for me or else I wouldn’t have held onto them for so long. I took the reports, booklet and my marker piece to Bertram Woods and gave it to the librarians in the children’s section for them to share.



The summer reading program was a crucial part of my summer and I’ve made sure to follow this tradition with my daughter, Alyssa.

Thanks - Karen L. Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment